Thursday, September 3, 2009

Paradise found, paradise lost

Even though I am totally loving my stay on Maui, yesterday I had a conversation with an interesting guy who runs a coffee/espresso shop not far from where I am staying. Things are not always as beautiful as they seem even in paradise. We were talking about how business was for the individual entrepreneur with the downturn and he said that he was still down about 30% from recent better years; although this year was better than last. What really got me was his average expenses for doing business; I don't know how this compares but it seems a lot to me. Round figures: rent 3 k, utilities 2.3 k, garbage collection 1.5 k, all per month before buying supplies and selling product. How does he do it? He did have a great attitude, hey location means a lot, and right now this location is outstanding.

Training today was a run down the Lower Honoapiilani Rd. It is really very nice to run, a lot of sun, some shade, varied elevation and not too much traffic. Time today was 75 min. This is my longest road run in many years; about 5 miles plus. Legs were gassed but the ocean and the pool at the end of the run makes recovery a pleasure. I have two training days left on Maui: Friday and Sunday, one swim and one more run on Sunday. Saturday we are going to do some clean up and repair work on the graves at Waikapu. Some of the cement cap has deteriorated so with the help of the neighbor we are going to try and repair them.

For those who are regular readers of this blog, you should consider being a follower. You can't be first, calabash cuz Hilary already got that spot, but you can still be one of the pioneer followers. I think it makes the blog more visible. So from Maui, mahalo nui, a hui hou; see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment