Saturday, September 26, 2009

California style

Good news, Em is feeling better. Still has some rough edges but all in all improving day by day. Training included running yesterday and today. I ran the Brentwood Country Club loop which consists of Montana Ave. and San Vicente on the long sides. Yesterday it took 40 mins. and today I made it in 36 min. Pretty happy about that. I'm not sure how far it is but it has to be more than 3 miles. But if it is three then 36 min. is good because that means I ran 3 12's which is a definite improvement.

Running in the Santa Monica and Brentwood area is a different vibe. There are all sorts of people out, more on the weekends. Lots of Hollywood types, fancy sun glasses, nice outfits; some older walkers and joggers, several student types, and some that are obviously trained athletes. Gives one plenty to watch if you get bored. Along with the runners and walkers, there is the variety of cyclists. Today I was passed by several packs moving quickly east on San Vicente. Makes for a colorful day.

Since I have been out on the road a lot the last few days, running, walking, or driving it is apparent how egocentric Californians seem to be. California is a place where you can get ahead historically, the Golden State where you can get a new start. But I think people have internalized this so much that it is a me first, how can I get ahead environment. You see it in the way people drive, speeding in and out of lanes, cutting off other drivers, domineering the lanes and so on. It happens on the sidewalks too. As I was running yesterday I approached two women running side by side towards me on a portion of the sidewalk that was wide enough for two. I thought maybe one of them would drop back but as I got closer I realized that I had to go out on the road and go around them because they were not conceding the space. I wasn't so much annoyed as I thought "what are you people thinking?" Didn't really matter to me, just making an observation.

I was going to register for the Oceanside 70.3 but much to my disappointment the event is already sold out for 2010. I guess I am going to have to get more organized on the calendar and commit to some races. I am totally bummed.

I am hoping to get some pool time tomorrow morning so no running. Till then, "A Hui Hou", see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment