Thursday, August 13, 2009

Swim training at the Monroe YMCA

Ouch! Had to share the lane today (I keep running into the lines). Regardless, down and back I went. My goal today was 35 minutes. The first 15 went well, the next 10, I noticed my technique slowly leave me, and the last 5 minutes I had no kick at all. During the swim I worked on hip rotation and breathing. I am still recovering from a "frozen" shoulder so my form could be much better. When I was finished I was winded but felt pretty good. Not sure how far I went, 33 laps equal a mile in this pool. next time I will check the numbers. By the time I was out the door of the building my legs felt like jelly. Good news is I was done for the day. Oh and sharing the lane, that was Patrick and Stacy, a couple of guys just starting out to train for a sprint triathalon next summer. Must be the law of attraction. We visited later in the hot tub.

I'm a little tired, definitely sore. I read an interesting article today by Ben Greenfield, the Top 8 Race Fueling Mistakes Made by Ironman Triathletes, at http://www.trifuel.com/. The decisions you have to make according to Greenfield can be very complex; fueling, hydration, avoid mixing sugars. So much to keep track of, it gives one a better appreciation for those athletes that are successful and the planning that goes into training and race day preparation.

Tomorrow back on the bike. See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment