Monday, August 17, 2009

Back on line


Missed a few post days, I've been chilling out with best friends and family at Harstene Island; an incredible little place in the south Puget Sound. It's a few hours drive there and once you arrive, it is completely isolated. Many thanks to Herb, Diane, Andrew, Hilary, Mike and Dave, and new friend Jordan, all good friends and family who have hosted us for a clambake weekend every year at this pristine locale. Weather started out a little sketchy but got better every day. Anyway there was no cell or Internet while there so this will be a catch-up posting.

Before going to Harstene Friday I was able to get in a training day: bike 1 hour, 14 miles, followed by a 10 min. jog. The ride was on the flat with no issues.

Saturday I completed a 60 min. run on varied elevation, about 4.4 miles. The route was mostly blacktop and some soft dirt/grass. Generally flat with some elevations.

Sunday: pool swim for 35 min. The north point at Harstene is perfect for open water swims, protected and generally smooth. You can swim along the shore easily visible to a spotter, and out of the way of any boat traffic. It is too cold without a wetsuit to do any lenthy swims. I need a wetsuit. Next time I'm at Harstene I will be prepared and in the water.

Speaking of wetsuits; I really do need to get one so I can get some water training in. I was thinking about that today as I drove up the Peninsula to Kingston. Why are all wetsuits for swimming usually predominately black. Why can't they be made of more distinctive colors? Swimmers in open water could be more visible to boaters, spotters, etc. It would improve safety for the swimmer and improved sighting for spotters. I don't know if there is some limit on color for neoprene but I can see combinations of yellow and red, or lime green and white; really there might not be any limitation. If you're a manufacturer of wetsuits reading this blog, we should make this idea a reality. I have several design ideas.

I'm about two weeks into the current training cycle and I am completely committed. Each session is challenging enough to keep my interest. I need to give Ironman training credit for the training plan: http://www.ironmanpower.com/. As I look ahead I anticipate that the run sessions will be the toughest for me. I know I need to increase speed but currently I am just trying to complete each workout based on total time. Also my road bike training now is on a mountain bike so I am concentrating on rpm and time rather than distance. I have started to look for a better bike for training. I want to get a tri setup but haven't found a decent product locally for what I want to spend. There are some mail order but I am reluctant because of my inexperience with the equipment.

Sometimes it seems that the training is the easiest part. You determine what your workout will be, when you will do it, then you get it done as best you can. The hardest part is all the extraneous stuff you have to do to prepare and get equipped. There is an obvious investment and it is hard to know what is a good buy or good choice. I haven't made contact with any local tri-athletes so I have to wait and see how my support circle will grow. Fortunately I am in the beginning stages of training so I have time to adjust. I am a bit concerned about getting the job done while I am out of town from time to time. I am hopeful that some of the places I am going to will have equipment available to borrow or rent.

Tomorrow is a long bike day. I'm planning to ride to Lk. Stevens, round trip about 35 miles, on the Centennial Trail. See you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment