Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kapiolani Park run

Hawaii is definitely paradise. Two days and you begin to think it must be like this everywhere. As you can see the beach looks great. Lots of things going on this week so I guess I hit it just right. The Duke's Ocean Quest is happening right now; it is a series of water events conducted right at the Waikiki Beach Center/ Kuhio Beach area for the week. There are a variety of surfing contests and events day and night. Lots of vendors and people milling about, it is a very lively atmosphere. Friday night there will be a huge street party with many bands. I think it will be a great time.

First night here I wasn't thinking of how I would get any training done; I was more concerned about the different kinds of food available here in Hawaii. Started out last night with a full combination plate at the Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu Ave. All I can say is it was awesome: kalua pig, laulau, lomi salmon, pipikaula, rice, poi, and haupia. If you are ever able to eat at this place it is a treat; open since 1962, original menu, family restaurant, cash only; you'll most likely wait to get in.

I actually got some training in this morning. Went for a run along the Ala Wai canal to Kapiolani Park, through the park and down Kalakaua Ave back to the condo at Seaside. It was about 8:00 am and the temperature was definitely warming. The Ala Wai road is very busy, one way, in the morning with people going to work I guess. Not much nature to enjoy but it is beautiful to gaze across the water at the golf course and the hills behind. Also there were some racing canoe teams out practicing in the morning. After I passed into the park it self it was much more pleasant, fewer cars, and there was more ambient sounds such as birds, trade winds blowing, and people walking, running, and some homeless camping. I ran without my Ipod today because I wanted to hear the run as much as I wanted to do the run. Total time about 50 minutes. As said before it was beautiful, also flat, and the location was everything I could want.

Tomorrow, ocean swim and looking forward to it. See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment