Monday, August 10, 2009

In the beginning...

Actually this is far from the beginning so truly it is more accurate to speak about this beginning, today. What motivates people I woonder to participate in activities which have obvious difficulties attached to them? I have begun this journey at this time because I can. Also due to my association with cousin Scott who as a multiple Ultraman finisher has simply said, "absolutly you can do it." Since my arrival back home from the recent Ultraman Canada, having been inspired by many elite athletes, I have committed to the concept that "I will do it." Easier said than done. There are many obstacles which lie in wait to snare my efforts. Convenience for one, physical and mental strength for another. Yet I have each day of the past week followed the mantra of swim, bike, run in some form or another. In the language of periodization I am experiencing the basic fitness level, reorienting my body to daily workouts in the multi-sport arena. After beginning this quest I have been contacted by friends (thank you Facebook) who are on a similar journey, at a different point in their lives, who have offered necessary encouragement on a daily basis.

I am not a novice to exercise. I was a coach of several sports, participated in a variety of activities over my lifetime, and continue to this day to work out regularly. The difference now is I have a little more focus. I was afraid to embark on this for the many times in life that I thought about it but now I feel that the end is not as important, that I can train every day and should I not get to the final official finish line I will at the very least enjoy the process of the training itself. That is not to say that I do not want to "finish" because I certainly do. It is just that I don't look at that as the driving force, but rather something extra at the end. The driving force is internal and much more powerful. In that regard what will be my goals?

Overcoming primary obstacles will be my first considerations. Making sure that I make time to train. Also as my schedule does not always fit the training cycle I will have to be creative in making the elements of my training occur. If I can't make the pool I will have to do something else. When I am on the road I may not have access to a bike, and so on. These bumps will not deter me, they may however slow me down. In this I will simply have to do my best and get on with it. Here in the Northwest, winter is a major obstacle to training outdoors. Now having said that, I see my evolution to go something like this. Train for two months, then enter a short race (10k), and next a half marathon. Train for some more months and look for a short Triathalon. Train again and enter an IM 70.3. Following that who knows how much training to complete a marathon and a full IM. I should be ready for the season when it begins again.

So how does that sound? A long way off to me. But I've already made the first steps and the report is: so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment