Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ultraman Canada; training inspiration



Training cycle: 5,000 m C2 row, bike 35 min. 9.5 miles, 10 min jog, 15 minute stretch.

Yeah yeah I know "rowing." Well I really like the C2 rower so I use it whenever it is available to me. It's a great warmup or workout. When I was a small boy I could paddle outrigger so I still like this kind of workout.

Today as I was on the bike I thought alot about my experience at Ultraman Canada. If you don't know about Ultraman you should really check it out. In 2007 Maureen and I were invited to meet cousin Scott Beasley (photo by Rick Kent included at the right) and some of his family in Penticton B.C. where he was going to participate in the Ultraman. We just watched this double ironman contest in awe and got to see Scott finish in first place overall. At the time I don't think it really set in how amazing the contest was. We went back again this year and met up with Scott, Martha, Jack, June, and Belinda; Scott was again entered in the race. This time we didn't just watch but were able to be a part of his support crew. The Ultraman is a 3 day contest starting with a 6.2 mile swim and 90 mile bike; day 2 is a 170 mile bike. The final day is a 52.4 mile run. Because of the distance of each stage, a support crew is needed for every athlete to provide equipment and nutrition support all along the way. I was able to accompany Scott in the swim; paddling a kayak to provide a solid line through the 6.2 mile course. In addition to being a particpant I was able to spend time with family and meet many of the elite athletes who were participants. Men and women finishers shattered event records and gave inspiration to everyone involved. Scott of course was our favorite but there were others we met who were amazing. Barbi Brochu, Canada, who smashed the swim records, was a lot of fun. Jason Lester, 2009 ESPY winner, totally inspirational. Amber Monforte, lst women overall, blasted the 3 stage time, and brought along Conrad Stolz, Olympic Triathalon and Xterra Champion, to crew. He was very friendly and encouraging. Not to forget Scott who finished 5th overall; he was great. There were 29 athletes overall, and all inspired in their own way. You can read about each one on the Ultraman site: http://www.ultramancanada.com/. I mention all of this because you come away with an energy that affects you mentally and physically. Can I do what they do? I don't want to say no. What I do know is that I can work at it; I am in charge of the energy and effort department, and I do know that my current mentality is a direct result of the Ultraman experience.
What will tomorrow bring? Is there an Ironman in the future? Swim, bike, run. Energy is good, interest is high. See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment