Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wednesday in Kona

Today the big event was ride from Hawi town the bike turn around. I had been advised to ride a portion of the course there to get used to the variable winds. This was really good because I didn't have any idea what it would be like. We drove out to Hawi which is nearly the end of the road on the north Kohala coast. It is a very small town with a few restaurants and shops. We had coffee and then I headed back towards Kailua-Kona on the bike. Coming out of Hawi it seemed like a head wind, no problem. Then as I passed the wind turbines the wind picked up and came across from the left to the right. I started a descent and picked up speed. I'm tucked into aero and all of a sudden my bike jumps 4 feet to the right. I jumped out of the aero position and recovered. This went on for what seemed like 10 miles. Part of the way the wind came from the left and part of the way from the right. It fluctuated in speed but it was hard to get used to. It finally calmed a bit and stopped gusting the last few miles to Kawaihai. Making the turn from Kawaihai, I headed south again towards Hapuna State Park. Here I met the family and friends who were having a beach outing there. I spent about an hour there, and then we drove back to town from there. If I had continued there was about 34 miles to ride, with varied elevation and generally it felt like head winds. On the ride I averaged 15+ mph, up to 37. On a couple of inclines I slowed to 9-12 mph. While resting at Hapuna I decided that I was ok with the heat, it was hot but not unbearable. I had salt tracks so I need to increase my electrolytes. I think my pace was consistent with my past, so I really can't expect much more race day. If everything goes as planned it looks like about 7.5 hours on the bike. Final assessment, it will be a very long day. Also, I can feel the effect of the sun on my skin, the sun even penetrates my jersey. I have been layering the waterproof sunscreen but the sun is still very intense. I'm sure I will be feeling it at the end of the day.

After the ride, I left the family at the Keahou KTA market and biked back to the condo, showered up and took a nap. Teri, Danny, Kaleo, Mike and Maria all arrived today, so we got together for dinner. Kanoa and Anna made some awesome beef and fish with pico de gallo and pineapple salsa, we added rice and guacamole, Teri brought pineapple and everyone brought their own combination of beverages. We had a fun time together, a great meal and now everyone has gone back to their individual condos for the night.

I am ready to go to sleep, still up a little late for my program but what can you do. I'll get 8 hours so it will be fine. Tomorrow is pretty low key. A little easy spin and jog in the morning, take a walk to the Expo, meet up with Martin sometime, take a nap, eat and hydrate, go to the welcome dinner and pre-race meeting, then get to bed. Main event for Friday is bike and helmet check in between 12 and 2 p.m.

That is all for now, hope you are well and keeping your love, ko aloha la ea. A hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment