Friday, October 14, 2011

Transition

(This blog is posted automatically on Facebook. If you would like to read older postings, for a more complete post pleas go to kanakahale-hoomau.blogspot.com)

End of the season (2) and now I can reflect on that success. Two years ago October I ran my first timed race, the Dawg Dash 10k, since the early 80's. This was after crewing at Ultraman Canada, and using the three event format as a way to workout and lose some excess weight. Without knowing it the simple act of completing the three events twice a week planted a seed that would grow like Jack's beanstalk. Another trip to Ultraman Canada, some research and reading, crew Ultraman Hawaii, two winters' training helped me go from size 40 to 34. Then last summer the first sprint tri, then another, and an olympic distance; the hook is set. More research, more specific training. I end up running through shoes, riding nights on a trainer, and swimming with Masters'. It is almost obsessive. I went from a few hours working out a week to as many as 24 hours per week and I was loving it. That brings me to the current season. Amazing.

Seemingly self-guided I participated in the following events since last October: Dawg Dash 10k, Monroe Y 5k, Mercer Island Half Marathon, Issaquah Sprint Tri, Boise 70.3 Half Ironman, Whiskey Dick Olympic Tri, Lake Stevens Olympic Tri, and most recently the Kona Ironman World Championships (as a result of a fortunate lottery pick). Eight organized events.

In order to accomplish this I had all kinds of help, mentors and encouragement: Ginger had me spinning. Sarah and Devan encouraged me from the start of the tri club. Jen and Hamber, the Masters' team helped to build my swim technique. Yoga classes. Pilates with Heather. Medical and PT with Head 2 Toe. Martin and Brian with Snohomish Bicycle, the Tri Team. Family, friends old and new, supporters who have joined this journey to encourage mine and align with theirs. There is an amazing community that surrounds me and propels me forward with joyful energy and gratitude. And I am so grateful because I think alone I would not have come this far. From the Ironman theme in Kona this year: Ko Aloha La Ea--keep your love. Seems to be perfect for me.

A plan, I have some general ideas. I've already built a calendar. I'm about 30 weeks out from my first race of the new season. That gives me a few weeks to transition, recover and plan specific workouts. It is very important to have a race on the books. It keeps you focused. As far as triathlons next year I've identified several leading up to Las Vegas and/or Kona: Memorial Herman TX 5/19; Boise 70.3 6/9, Lake Stevens 70.3 7/15, Louisville 8/26, and Florida 11/03. If I'm successful one of those will qualify me for Las Vegas and/or Kona.

All of this is very general right now and I do have some goals for improvement. This winter through strength training, pilates, flexibility, swim technique, bike workouts, and runs I can be a better faster athlete. My goal will be to complete a sub 14 hour Ironman and to eventually qualify for Kona once again. I know I can do the work and that I can't control the outcome. I'm okay with that. I know the journey is long and typically with Ironman, lonely but I am not alone. I have all of my Ohana (family) and Hui (crew) who will cheer, exhort, smooth out the rough spots, and walk with me. How cool is that?

As this is the end of the season, it is also the start of the next. Lew Hollander, 81 years young, who has completed 22 consecutive Kona Ironman events said that we have to do something anaerobic every day. I can do that. So one more time: join me, start your own new chapter. A Hui Hou (see you soon). I'll see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment