Friday, October 7, 2011

Thursday in Kona: 1 day and 22 hrs.-

With less than two days until the race, this was a pretty uneventful but strangely busy day. Started with a light breakfast and then a quick spin around town on Alii Drive. Headed down to the King Kamehameha to get a treatment at the ART tent. Had two great guys, brothers bend and stretch my ankles, calves, hips and neck. Really appreciate the work they do. Headed back early tomorrow morning for a repeat. After that I headed back to the condo for some more eating. Did a little reading and a nice nap. In the early afternoon Bob and I went down to the expo to check out the vendors. Walking the streets is becoming more difficult as there are more people here now. It was fun looking at all the new products. I saw some cool goggles at Tyr and checked out the Torque Elite swim skin, I don't know how it passed, feels like rubber coating all over. The new Specialized Shiv, a race bike released this week, was pretty exciting. I am craving the DuraAce electric shifters with the shifters at the end of the aero bars and at the brakes. It was very cool. After the Expo I spent some time texting Martin who is now on the island about getting the bike checked before I have to take it to the transition for the overnight. Bike and helmet check in for me is from 12:00 to 2:30. Back at the condo getting ready for the welcome banquet. We didn't get a car so we walk every where. Tonight there were rain showers and we got a little wet going to the KK Hotel. During the dinner it was mostly dry but towards the end of the program it really dumped. They tried to have the pre-race meeting but I think most competitors bugged out. There are 970 first timers at this race. The dinner was fine and without the rain would have been memorable, maybe it was. Didn't actually see Martin and family but my crew numbering 10 tonight, 12 tomorrow, enjoyed the evening. Afterwards we split up, some shopping, some to listen to music and enjoy the night life, and I went home to get to sleep. I'm relaxed but nervous, if those two can co-exist. Tomorrow I'll jog on down to the ART tent, get a treatment, then meet up with Martin. We'll get the bike ready and then it will be time to check in. Might take a 20 minute jog tomorrow but that is it. Have to sleep and get up at 3:00 a.m. Saturday morning. don't know if I'll be able to post Friday and Saturday, but I should have the time on Sunday. As always, a hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment