Friday, October 14, 2011

The Race-part two: understanding

It has been nearly a week and the disappointment lingers. Thankfully I have been here before, and I've been on the finishers' side too; it will pass, of that I am sure. The question then is, what now? For me this part is easy. Just look at the results, assess the pluses and minuses, make a plan, commit and move ahead.

What follows is what I have to remember as part of my future race plan.

Swim: 2:01. Comfortable. I started center back, next to the floating Explorer. I can do better. Pick up the pace sooner after the initial start; maintain a better line after the turn. Push.

T1. Skip the socks. Tri suit or tri top under swim skin; put on bike shorts in the tent. Shoes on the bike.

Bike: 8:41. Wind vs. power. First 28 miles just under 14 mph. Next 31 miles under 12 mph. Last 53 at 13:09. Heat did not seem as bad, wind was more than I expected. Need to keep warm-up pace up to the Kuakini turn around then push the decent; from Queen K to airport pick up pace, fuel. Hold pace from airport to Waikaloa Village Road. Maintain liquids alternate water and electrolytes at aid stations, two gels plus bananas every hour. Settle in to Kawaihae to Hawi climb. At the Hawi turn around, get off the bike, use the portable toilet, eat. Fresh legs, push descent to Kawaihae. Make the the climb from Kawaihae to Queen K south, and get ready for the head winds. Last 25, whatever I've got in the tank.

T2. Leave shoe on the bike. Change socks, sunscreen, hat, change to run shorts ok. Relax in town down and back on Alii Dr.10 miles. Race pace to Energy Lab. Easy down to end of EL then steady up and out. 5 miles to go, push, it's not even 10k. Walk all the aid stations. Get excited at the turn down Palani and just build, less than 1.5 to go: Kuakini, Hualalai, then right turn onto Alii Dr. Enjoy the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment