Sunday, October 30, 2011

Starting up the hill again!

Monroe YMCA 5k
Starting up again, now season three is the goal. I have planned a few weeks of regular workouts with low volume. Generally I'm planning in two's: two swims 30 min. ea., two bikes 60 mins. ea., two runs of 45 min. ea. In addition two or three strength workouts of about 45 min. ea. and daily stretching. There is the possibility to have an additional bike or run.

I have been looking at several races for next season starting as early as April or May. I would like to do at least one full IM distance and a couple of 70.3 races.  I am committed to getting back to Kona but I feel that will be more possible in 2013. I had originally looked at the Memorial Hermann in Texas but it closed the day I wanted to register.

These are some of the potential races I'm interested in for next season:
Focus Izalco Team 2

May 12 ITU San Diego Olympic Distance
June 9 Boise 70.3
June 24 Pacific Crest Ore. Olympic Distance
or
July 17 Deschutes Dash Olympic Distance
July 8 Rev3 70.3 Portland
or
July 17 Lake Stevens 70.3
August 26 IM Louisville
Maybe IM Florida Panama Beach

"A" races could be either 70.3 Boise IM, Rev3 Portland, or Lake Stevens; and IM Louisville or Florida.

During the last year I believe I increased both skills and fitness. In general here at home I felt pretty good in my age group, not fast but definitely not last. The reality is I am fit compared to the larger age group picture but as I saw very clearly at Kona, I have a long way to go. Having said that, I need to make some changes. My areas of focus in order of priority for training will be: bike, run, swim. To make that happen I hope to get a lot more from my cycling mentors Brian and Martin. I also need to re-channel from volume to intensity for the winter. I am mostly self-directed so I am hoping to find some new resources to upgrade the quality of my training. I have also gotten a new road bike for training. Really excited to put the miles on it. This is a full carbon race bike nicely equipped and set up to be more forgiving on the road than the Cervelo (the Tri bike goes back on the LeMond Revolution trainer for the Winter). This week I'll be visiting with Mary Gandee of BlueFire Fitness about CompuTrainer sessions and other assistance that she might be able to provide.

I'm looking forward to busy week. Plan to be in So Cal for Thanksgiving, maybe even a trip to the desert. For now then, a hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment