Saturday, July 30, 2011

Whiskey Dick Triathlon tomorrow, 69 days until Kona

I'm relaxing at home today after a moderate week of training, both as a recovery from the Leavenworth century ride last Sunday and in anticipation of Whiskey Dick tomorrow. A little easy workout run and bike today and then just get everything lined up for race day tomorrow. I'll be attending a wedding this evening so I'll have to drive over to Ellensburg and Vantage in the early morning. Not looking forward to that. So let's get to the summary for this week and then some final thoughts about the long ride last week.

Summary: swim, two open water swims, 1 mile each at :45 and :40 minutes; bike 62 miles 4:05; run 4.5 miles 1:05. Total miles 68.5, total time 6:35. All in all it was a productive week considering I had to give some time for recovery.

Recovery. There is a term that means so much more to me since the long ride last weekend. I was so tired, most likely suffering from heat cramps, and the physical difficulty of the ride itself that I am still feeling somewhat achy. My upper back, shoulders, and in particular my arms are still sore. I was really surprised at how tight my triceps were from hanging on to the bike. Normally I don't sit up as much and since the ride was a continuous climb I really didn't take note of the toll on my body. I am anxious about tomorrow's ride because the first half is uphill. Another difficulty that I noticed was my left arm is tight and not as strong as usual for gripping. Hopefully this will self-correct in time. Finally my hamstrings are also tighter than normal. Although they have responded to stretching.

Well that's it for now. I am hoping to be steady tomorrow in the ride. I feel confident about the distance. The weather on the east side will probably be in the 80s and that along with the bike climb may cause some difficulty, just have to wait and see. I hope to be done in under 3:30 but I'm going for the finish. I am treating this like a long training day. Looking forward to having some good news to report next time from the race.

A hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment