Monday, July 25, 2011

The Longest Day

This post includes my training summary and a description of my longest continuous training/competition day ever.

Weekly summary: swim 4.11 miles, 2:50; bike 186 miles, 16:10; run 12.0 miles, 2:35; total miles 202.11, time 21:35; strength training 1:40; total time for the week 23:15.

The big event for the week was the bike shop ride from Snohomish to Leavenworth, approximately 100 miles, 41.5 uphill. This was the longest ride for me as well as the longest climb. Weather was hot, in the 80s for the steepest part of the climb. Even on the descent it stayed hot all the way to Leavenworth. We left the Snohomish Bike Shop about 8:30 and headed to Monroe on the old Monroe-Snohomish Road. Then onto the Old Owen Road to Sultan. We stopped in Sultan for a short break then pushed on to Skykomish for the next rest stop. I was feeling pretty good at that point, about 30 miles into the ride. I had been drinking water and gatorade, a bottle of each, and two or three gels. At times I was able to keep up with the group but most of the ride I was on my own, probably due to the constant grade after Sultan. I was slow but steady. After Skykomish I was a little worried about the climb but kept going. With about 13 more miles of climbing I wasn't sure what would happen. The temperature continued to be hot and I was drinking both of my bottles but I don't think I had enough to counter the heat. For the first time I was sweating salt rings, and running low on energy. By the time I made the corner out into the open for the last climb to the summit I was beat. I stopped several times and took fluids and a gel. Though I was tired and felt like quitting I kept going. Finally I guess about 2 miles from the top my legs just froze up. My inside quads on both legs locked up tight. I was lucky to get off the bike before I fell. As I was standing leaning on my bike wondering what I would do a pickup towing a trailer came up from behind on the shoulder. The driver got out and asked how I was doing. I couldn't move and he offered to give me a ride up to the summit. I had to go with it. So we put the bike in the back and I climbed in. The man, from Marysville, with wife, son and girl-friend, were on their way to pick up a jeep in Wenatchee and were driving slowly up the shoulder because the truck was overheated. Really awesome people and when we got to the bike group stop at the summit the other riders weren't too hard on me. So sadly on this day I made the climb minus 2 miles. I was disappointed but didn't have any choice.

At the summit I re-hydrated, had some fruit and gels, refilled my bottles and tried to loosen up. After about 15 minutes the group I was in started to head down the other side towards Leavenworth. I was okay on the downhills, actually there were a couple of real nice descents, but any up-hills were tough. My legs still ached miserably, and I worried all the way that I might be able to make it. I made it okay to the next rest-stop and fueled up. Still sore but I kept moving. Had trouble keeping with my group so linked up with one other person and we paced each other along. That was going pretty well until I had a pinch flat from the rough roadway. Slowing down I finally found a place on the shoulder wide enough to get off and fix the flat. Two riders stopped with me and we change the tube out. This was less than a mile from the town. What luck. anyway after fixing the flat I rolled and pedaled the last mile or so to the meet up. We stopped at a restaurant called Kristalls. We had a group dinner, relaxed a while and then I caught a ride back with one of the riders and his family. The drive back was uneventful and long. I was cramped the whole time. I actually don't think I have ever been this cramped up before. I couldn't sit still or straighten up enough to relieve the strain. When we got back to the shop and unloaded the gear, I hobbled back to my car.

Now that I think back on it I am sure I had heat cramps and lacked enough fluid. I was hurting all night even though I drank a bunch of water and gatorade. It was hard sleeping. This morning I didn't think I would be doing anything but ended up going to swim Lake Tye with Jessica which felt pretty good. Still hurting all day. Hope to bike and run tomorrow but really don't know how that will be. I've got to monitor my fluids and fuel in heat better than I did. Lesson learned. It will be interesting to see how my training goes because today I feel in need of recovery. I'll just have to go day by day. Next time it will be all the way to the top.

Any comments about my cramping are welcome. A hui hou, see you on the road.

1 comment: