Friday, July 22, 2011

Counting down 77 days until IM Kona

Just about done with my second week of training since Finland. To summarize the last two months it has been up and down. Following a two week taper I completed the Boise 70.3. Amazing! After that for recovery I rested a few days and then spent the time before Finland with regular daily workouts. The last week totaled nearly 48 miles and 7:35 total time.

So far this week:
Monday Bike 35 mi 2:40
Tuesday Swim 2500 1:00; weights/agilities :50; bike steady hill climb 9.5 1:00; run 3.5 :45
Wednesday Bike 35 mi 2:40
Thursday Swim 2250 :50; weights :40; run 8.5 mi. 1:50

By the end of this week I'll have completed most of a two week base 1 program. Spent a couple of afternoons this week talking with Brian and he anticipates ramping up including longer distances and more complex workouts. This Sunday I'll be riding from Snohomish to Leavenworth, almost a 100 miles, much of it uphill to Stevens Pass. I'm nervous about how I will do. Starting next week every bike ride is going to be at least 50 miles per so I will have to make sure I have the time for that. With about 11 weeks to go there is a lot to do. We talked about building through August and then heat training in So Cal for a while in September.

While I'm thinking about all that there is to do I can't help but reflect on all the people around me who encourage me and are taking an interest in my progress. People I've met through the bike shop, at the Y, even at competitions starting with UMC and events I've been a participant in. It is really important because without that I can't imagine even talking about Ironman let alone training for it. More importantly, it is constantly a give and take where we encourage and take encouragement as we strive to finish what we have started. I don't particularly feel like I am a natural in any of the events unless you think that slow and steady requires talent. Yet I am going headlong into the most difficult athletic event I have ever attempted. And I have the opportunity to share what insights I might have with others who have similar interests. This give and take is what I think about when I'm training or thinking about training, and having conversations with others about triathlons. It really gives meaning to my usual closing. It is a phrase of Hawaiian and English which reinforces our need to interact. So, for now, a hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment