Monday, August 1, 2011

After Whiskey Dick, 67 days till Kona

Here's a question for you: what is worse than a 12 mile climb and heavy head winds on the descent? How about 12 mile climb and 25 to 35 mph head winds uphill and downhill. I envisioned a 3:30 Olympic distance triathlon based on previous performance at different events and past training. I expected some wind but that was not my anticipated concern. After a 100 mile ride to Leavenworth last week I was more concerned with my ability to make the 4% average climb from Vantage. Well, the climb was long but the wind kept me in the lowest gear range able to barely get 5 or 6 mph. The first 6 miles were the hardest, I only managed gear changes for the briefest moments. The second 6 was much more manageable even though I was tired from the first half. I fueled and drank like crazy, 4 gels and 3.5 bottles for the ride and was glad to finish with some energy. Also the downhill in higher gears allowed a couple of 20 mph portions but mostly I was around 15 downhill or flat. The swim was within my estimated finish and my run was fine given the conditions of the bike. But the 12 mile climb took 2 hours and the last 16 took another hour. This totally destroyed any chance at a reasonable finish. Before I give you the stats let me say that my time was disappointing but I really believe that my overall performance made this even a very good training day for me. And happily today, after a recovery day I feel like I'm ready to train again tomorrow.

Here are the stats:
Swim 1 mile 0:45:51; Bike 28 miles 3:13:38; Run 6.2 miles 1:25:52
Including the transitions my total time 5:36:16.

Last comment for Whiskey Dick tri: it slowed me down but no way did it take me down.

With only 67 days left until the IM Kona race here is my training plan for the next week:

Monday- rest
Tuesday- swim 2600; run 1:15 with interval sets for speed
Wednesday- brick bike 0:45, run 0:30
Thursday- swim 3500; bike 1:30 with speed intervals
Friday- swim 3500; run 1:00 with 0:10 speed interval
Saturday- brick bike 4:00 and run 0:45
Sunday- bike 1:00 spin set, run 1:45 easy pace

For awhile I'll be checking on my mother who has been ill so I won't have my regular training resources available and I won't likely complete the entire plan for the week. Hopefully I will be able to adjust as I go and get the majority finished. If you're out there where I'll be, a hui hou, see you on the road and thanks for your continued interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment