Monday, November 22, 2010

Still on Maui

Another beautiful day for a morning bike ride. There are a couple of things that I have learned while biking West Maui. First of all many of the areas do have nice shoulders and bike lanes on the main highway. Off the highway or areas away from resorts this is not the case. Roads are narrow and well travelled. Secondly, rides are definitely affected by winds and terrain. My mileage has dropped. This also may be because I have enjoyed the scenery and haven't been pushing. I'm riding without a computer so I have to estimate turnover and distance. Bottom line is that I am enjoying the rides.

Today I headed out towards Kapalua, followed the highway past Fleming Beach, turned around a bit after that at the end of the bike route as the road narrowed. It was certainly passable one lane in each direction but not much room for cyclists and cars going the same way. I opted to retrace my route back towards Lahaina. Kept going towards the south taking a break at Launiupoko Park. Had a great visit with veteran teacher Renee from Redding. She just finished surfing and came up to talk about the bike I was riding. This 2011 Specialized Roubaix is great to look at and attracts attention wherever I go. Aloha to Renee and back on the road to Honokowai. Time on the road about 2:30, approximately 30 miles.

After a good rest by the pool it was off shopping and that is always tough, trying to find that perfect gift. I don't want to give away anything to my followers but found some nice trinkets. Best store for unique items is Hale Zen on Dickenson Street. Kind of a home furnishings store with more. It's two blocks off of Front Street and it is a must visit for sure. Shopping is tough work so after a few hours it was time for some "ono grinds." Headed off to Da Kitchen for Saimin and one big Hawaiian Plate: Laulau, Chicken Long Rice, Kalua Pig, Lomi Salmon, Macaroni Salad and rice. Washed down with some Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter, so smooth. Check the pix.

One more ride tomorrow morning. A Hui Hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment