Sunday, August 21, 2011

Home and training

After a long week in LA I'm back at it at home. Actually, all things considered, I really have all of the support I need here. Right now just a few weeks before the biggest race event of my life, I feel very comfortable here at home. Down in California I was able to get a few runs and rides in but no swims. The longest ride was 36 miles down the coast to Manhattan Beach. The day was hot and even on Friday the beaches had lots of people there, the surf 3-5 and very consistent. It was difficult to train consistently because I was preoccupied with my mother's illness and her medical care. Fortunately I was able to come home after talking with all the doctors and her caregiver. The situation is stable and we talk every few days to make sure all is well.

This week I was able to train Tuesday through Saturday. I had two long rides, Thursday 35 miles around Lake Stevens and Monroe, then Friday I rode from Kingston to Harstine Island for 56 miles. Both rides had lots of climbs and Friday it was warm, high 70s maybe 80. it was a good training ride with plenty of opportunity to work on nutrition and fluids. Physically I was tired but not drained. My route for the Kingston ride was down SR 3, some of which between Poulsbo and Bremerton was freeway. Riding was fine but negotiating high speed traffic around on ramps and exits was very difficult. There were a couple of close calls, won't be making that ride again. The rest of the ride from Bremerton south was fine, narrow shoulder all the way but generally room to ride.

Summary for the week:
Swim 4.4 miles, 2:35; bike 101 miles, 7:05; run 8.5 miles, 1:50; total miles 113.9, total time 11:30.

Starting this week I'll adding one hour of Pilates reformer to my workout and two sessions of deep tissue ART. I am hoping to get some release of muscle tightness and adhesions in my low back and hip area. This should relieve some of the pressure and pain that I experience on long distances. I should have some improvement in performance as well.

Plan for the week is 3 hours of swim, 8.5 hours on the bike, and 6.5 hours running.
Tomorrow marks 46 days until race day. Until then I'll keep working hard, a hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment