Monday, June 21, 2010

Still abroad

I've been in Finland a little over a week now. Today was the solstice and there was a beautiful but brief sunset, some amazing colors. The evenings in Karjaa are beautifully quiet and serene if you take time to listen. Walked to the old St. Katherine this evening. It is very old and it overlooks a local river. There are no words to accurately describe it except that for me it is legendary. There are only two more days of camp then I will spend some time in Helsinki and the countryside before returning to the states. I will be sad when camp is over but look forward to some "freetime" in Finland.

I've had the opportunity to run three times: twice on the wooded trail and once on the road and through a local park with a river vista. The trail runs are 3 km loops, up and down, generally used in the winter for Nordic skiing, there are some long steep climbs. The road run is on bike trails, sidewalks, and park trails, generally flat or with some inclines. My first trail run was 6 km in 55 min. That was last Wednesday. Then Thursday I ran the road run for about 6 km in 55 min. also. Finally on sunday I was able to work in a long run. I ran the trail loop making several circuits for a total of 13.5 km in about 1:55. Due to the hills, by Tuesday my legs were pretty tired. I'm hoping to get in a short 45 min run. tomorrow and get some of the kinks loosened up. After that I don't know if I will have time to train or the opportunity/location. I'll be semi-on the road in Finland staying with a family at their summer cottage and I expect that it will be relaxing and I may not even want to train. We'll see.

Anyway, if you are out there, good for you. I see many of my Monroe Tri Club friends are racing and training, good for you too! So, a hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment