Sunday, May 22, 2011

Boise 70.3 in three weeks

Finished the last build week and entering peak development for the next two weeks. The basis of the peak weeks is to have high intensity workouts at race pace with recovery between. Also it is an opportunity to practice event nutrition plans. Peak development is followed by race week. Then depending on the results of the race, some rest and then prepare for the Tri-Monroe Olympic distance June 26.

Summary of this past week training: swim 2.2 mi. 1:37 (1000 meter test 24 min.); bike 84 mi. 6:10; run 15.3 mi. 3:25; total miles 102, 11:12; including 0:45 strength training; total training just under 12 hours. This training included time tests and more recovery so I expect to have good energy for this coming week. The Saturday shop ride with Brian and Lance was a good technique training for me. It gave me the chance to work with my new cassette, 11-28. I was able to maintain a pretty good pace overall which is encouraging. But as Brian reminds me I have a long way to go. Doable, but definitely a climb.

I have been concentrating on my nutrition with a good balance of vegetables, fruits, and proteins. I average about 5 to 7 servings of each. Carbohydrates more frequent in the earlier part of the day, particularly after training recovery meals. The balance of foods is taken from Matt Fitzgerald Racing Weight. Compared to last year at this time I am up about 7 to 10 pounds over my lowest weight last summer. I expect that my weight will drop during more intense training from mid July until October in preparation for Ironman Hawaii.

This is my training plan for this week. It is from Joe Friel's Your Best Triathlon. I have modified it to start on Monday to allow me Sunday off.

Monday:
Swim, 1:00, warm-up 6x50, 4x500, 10-20 min. cool down.
Run, 1:15, warm-up, strides, 4x8 min. zone 3 with 2 min. rec., cool down.
Strength training, 0:45
Tuesday
Swim, easy 15-30 min.
Bike, 1:30, warm-up, 6x5 min. hill repeats with recovery, 10-20 min. cool down.
Wednesday
Swim, easy 20-30 min.
Bike, 1:30, easy ride.
Run, 1:00, easy run.
Thursday
Swim, 1:00, warm-up 10x25, 4x25 paddles with 6 stroke sprint start, 4x500 race pace, 1x300 easy.
Bike-Run #1, 1:45, bike warm-up 20 min. 15 min. at race pace, run 6x9 min. intervals with 1 min. recovery, cool down 5 min.
Friday
Swim 30 min. recovery.
Bike 2:00 easy.
Run 0:45 easy.
Saturday
Bike 2:00 easy.
Run 1:00 easy.
Sunday off or make up any missed session.

Mix in a few stretching sessions and that should make the week.
Adds up to about 16 hours, in 15 sessions.
It will be difficult but if the weather cooperates I should be able to get it done.
If you are out there with me training somewhere, then a hui hou, I'll see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment