Sunday, September 12, 2010

Road trippin; training a little bit

On the road since my last posting. Down south, So. Cal., San Jose, Palm Desert and Santa Monica. Not much training while on the road but the last week or so the desert offered several "warm/really hot" training opportunities. The temperature during the day time has ranged from 90s to 115 on the hottest day. I've tried to take advantage of the heat to acclimatize; actually it was doable but hard work. Training was limited to flat roads for running, 36' swimming pool, and a beach cruzer for a bike, seriously! I had 11 workouts starting last Sunday. Totals: swim 2.25 mi. 2:17; run 34.25 mi. 7:09; bike 5.0 mi., 45 mi.; totals 41 miles, 10:11. The swims were tedious because the pool is so short. I made my runs in mid-morning. Times ranged from 35 minutes to 90. Generally I would drink a bottle or more of water during the runs at ten minute intervals and I lost one to two pounds by the end. On two of the days I used Jeff Galloway's run walk intervals which helped to beat the heat.

Next few days on the road again so not much training planned. I'll get a few runs in but that's about all. Not planning any events in the near future except the Dawg Dash 10k next month. It marks a one year anniversary, the end of this year's cycle of serious training. So until the next post, a hui hou, and I'll see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment