Tuesday, June 7, 2011

You Will Do This; race week Boise 70.3

It's race week and of course everything I do, all my thoughts and apprehensions are moving at hyper-speed. My brain is filled with what-ifs and what should and what did I forget. It is to say the least, over-whelming.

I had a good training week. swim 3.5, 2:50; bike 56.5 4:02; run 9.7 1:50; total miles 69.7; total time 8:42. This week was capped off with the Issaquah sprint tri on Saturday. The conditions were good, sunny, water was cold, bike and run courses were dry. My times improved over last year by about 6 minutes. Transitions times were really good: 5 minutes in T1 and 2 minutes in T2. The run was the toughest part. Most of the course was on cross country trails so my pace slowed below my average 5K times. The best part was a good overall effort and I was feeling really good at the end. My only complaint is that as one of the older age groups I have to wait to almost the last in any wave start, so I'm standing around for about 30-40 minutes after the first gun. When I was in transition from the swim, teammate Josh was coming in on the bike and starting the run. At least the bike course is spread out by the time I get there so it's not so bad.

This week being race week my workouts are really short and intense. There are two workouts Monday and Wednesday and then a short swim/BRick Friday. Workouts include easy warm-ups and cool downs with technique and quick intervals between. Workout times are 30 minutes or less for the swim and 60 minutes for the bike run combinations. Friday: 15 min. swim, 45 min. BRick. Saturday is race day with the gun at 12 noon. If you want to follow you can log on to www.ironman.com, find the event and follow by name, bib, or age group. My bib number is 350.

Other items on my list for this week include a quick once-over on the bike at Snohomish Bicycle, complete my pre-race nutrition plan and getting supplies. Then Wednesday check all my gear and pack up for the road trip to Boise Thursday morning.

Finally in order to stay focused my mantra for the week is "You will do this!" I just focus on what I have to do to finish, try to rest when I should, eat well and with the exception of the long drive to Boise, relax relax relax. Those of you who have been part of my journey I can assure you that each and every one of you will be on my mind during the event Saturday. I'll be out there for at least 7 hours so I'll have plenty of time with my thoughts. Thanks and let's all hope for good weather and race conditions. A hui hou, see you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment